Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Reconnecting

This post is going to be about reconnecting. So far, this has been a pretty big theme in my time in NYC.

Because NYC is such a tourist destination, I feel like I've gotten the opportunity to catch up with a lot of people from my past.

Even the fact that I've been spending a lot of time with Emilie, who lived on my floor freshman year of college, is an example of reconnecting with someone from the past. In this particular instance, Emilie and I went from Facebook friends and acquaintances to good friends. Thanks, NYC for reconnecting us. :)

There are several other people who I've gotten the chance to talk to or catch up with thanks to this crazy city.

Brittany, this girl I worked with at Victoria's Secret when I was 19 0r 20 was in town for a week with her dance company. She still lives in Memphis; however, I haven't seen her in years. We were good friends at work but never really hung out outside of work despite our intentions to do so.

When I'm in Memphis, it's usually for a short amount of time (4-5 days), and I barely have time to see my best friends and mom let alone all of the people I would love to catch up with and have the opportunity to see.

I think that's part of the beauty of my stay in NYC thus far. I have a few friends (not many) whom I am very grateful for; however, I'm extremely open and willing to see and meet more people. If I see on Facebook that someone I know from the past is coming to town, I jump at the opportunity to see them!

This brings us to my cheesecake outing with Brittany. I met her and some of the people in her dance company at Junior's Cheesecake (http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/) to catch up. Let me start by saying this is the first time I had cheesecake since moving to NYC (astonishing right?).

We got to hang out and spend some time talking about life. She's in Memphis finishing up her degree at the University of Memphis and teaching at the dance school. I feel like if it weren't for NYC, we wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet up in person. We may have had the intention of doing so in Memphis, but unfortunately I don't think it would have happened. :(

The next person I reconnected with was Hollie, who was my best friend in preschool. Our parents were friends, and we grew up together. She moved away, and we lost touch. I honestly don't think I've seen her in 15 years until this past weekend.

She is staying in PA for a few months for work and came to NYC to visit a friend. She, her friend, and I met for dinner at this really cute Italian restaurant in Hells Kitchen (http://www.carbonenyc.com/). The food was good, and the company was just awesome.

After dinner, she and her friend went to see Mama Mia. After the show, I met her and her friend and her friends at this bar/lounge in Greenwich Village.We had a couple drinks and danced and caught up, and it was a really great time. I really feel like I had the opportunity to reconnect with someone who was a really important person in my early childhood.



Hollie and me


It was really great to see what she is up to these days. She looks the same as she did when she was little, which is rather refreshing. She was so friendly and sweet, and I am so glad we got to meet up.

The third person I've reconnected with, I haven't yet hung out with in person. Stephanie lived across the hall from us freshman year of college. She was such a sweet and fun person; however, we lost touch after that year of college.

She recently contacted me of Facebook asking questions about NYC. She was planning a trip and wanted to know where to stay, what to do, etc.

I was so excited to hear from her! I texted her yesterday to see when she was coming and found out her trip to NYC didn't end up happening. Even though it got canceled, and we haven't gotten to hang out in person, I feel like I've reconnected with someone I lost touch with.

I also need to share a bit of our conversation because it is just HILARIOUS:

Stephanie: How is life in the city?

Me: The city is sooooo much fun!!!!

Stephanie: OMG I bet... I'm so jealous... you're kinda like Carrie Bradshaw, we just need to find you a Mr. Big.,,,

Me: Hahahaha! Hopefully a non douchey one!

I don't know if it's because i have Carrie Bradshaw hair or what... For those of you who know me pretty well, you know I didn't come to NYC to get my MRS or find a serious boyfriend. I moved to NYC for the experience and to work on my career.

All in all, I guess this was a really long post about how NYC has helped me catch up with old friends. It's another reason why I am grateful to be living in this great city. I'm 24 years old and loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment