Monday, March 5, 2012

I just reread my last blog post. I have gotten much better about eating meals at actual meal time and having smoothies and trying to eat better. That said, I did have dinner last night at midnight. It wsa a slice of pizza. I guess you can say it's a work in progress. I also have yet to buy fruit from a fruit stand, but it is on my to do list! I'll get to it one of these days. :)

A lot of you have been asking about my living situation. In order for people to understand/relate, I compare it to living in the doorms (but more expensive). It's an adjustment getting used to sharing close quarters with someone else. I really love my apartment though. It's in a great area and a good value (by New York standards).

My roommate is 22 and from China, and I never see her. We have opposite schedules. Honestly, I live in a small apartment with her and probably see her once a week.

Last Sunday was the first chance we got since I moved in to hang out. We walked to Greenwich Village and window shopped and had lunch. It was a really awesome and relaxing afternoon and cool to get to know her.

We walked past this chain link fence that had all of these tiles on it that were painted by little children. They're all about 9/11. They are heart wrenching but that awful event is something we need to be reminded of. This city was torn apart by that event, and walking past Ground Zero and seeing this fence reminds you of that.






Last Thursday, I went to a charity event. All proceeds went towards providing underprivileged girls with all of their prom needs. It was a cocktail event at a lounge near Times Square. The tickets were $35, and there was an open bar from 7-8:30 and then a cash bar after that. There were liquor sponsors (Ultimat vodka and Patron), a raffle drawing, and a silent auction. I'm glad I got to go. It felt very "New York" to go to party for a night, where the proceeds benefit a charitable cause, or maybe that's just the impression Gossip Girl gives of New York...


I went to Dallas for business last week, which was fun. It's amazing how it feels to be in another city after spending days and days in Manhattan. It's like visiting another world. Even large cities seems small and sleepy.


Other than that, things have been pretty lowkey for me the past several days. I worked this weekend and didn't do much.


Yesterday, I went to brunch with Jessie. One thing I've learned is New Yorkers are serious about their brunch. Brunch lasts for hours. What you think/plan/anticipate is going to be grabbing a meal with some friends for a couple of hours turns into an entire day. I've been to brunch a few times since moving here and have yet to return to my apartment in a timely manner post brunch. It's awesome, and I love it.


It's been 6 weeks, and NYC is still awesome. The fact that I live here still hasn't completely sunk in. I mean it's the best city in America (besides Memphis of course ;)), and I am blessed to be able to now call it home.









No comments:

Post a Comment