Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Are you from Texas?

As many of you know, I moved to NYC 2.5 weeks ago. Interesting enough, one of my best friends from DC moved to LA this past weekend. She started a blog for her friends and family to be able to read about her adventures in LA, and I thought it was a good idea to do something similiar about my time in NYC.

I talk to several people I've met at different points in my life (elementary/high school, college, time in DC, etc) on a regular basis; however, there are plenty of people I don't. I wish I talked to more people and have discovered I've gotten bad at talking on the phone. In DC, I would catch up with people on the way to/from work. Now I don't have a car; so, I'm not catching up with people like I did before. As Natalie (my DC friend turned Hollywood girl) pointed out in her blog, it's a great way to keep in touch with people. It will also be a chance for me to reflect on my time in The Big Apple.

You may be wondering why I titled this post "Are you from Texas?". I haven't lived in the south since graduating from college. Part of me thinks/has been told, I'm loosing my southern accent. As my friend Alex likes to point out, I have a really thick drawl on my voicemail message. I haven't updated that since college. I was starting to think I was losing some of southern ways, but then I moved to NYC. Now everyone I meet wants to know where I'm from. When I say the south, they always assume Texas. It's as if Texas is the one state besides New York and California that New Yorkers have heard of...

I guess you can take the girl out of the south but not the south out of the girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment